Friday, November 28, 2008

Al Gore Says We Need To Save Our Planet, Here's How

Al Gore has done lots of things in his life, he's been Vice-President, lost in a Presidential election, and now he lectures people on how we're murdering our planet. He was on Oprah recently giving another version of his big lecture from his movie An Inconvenient Truth. He always likes to use charts and statistics, but I have a problem with that. Statistics can be used to prove anything, so I could probably use those to argue that this climate change is being caused by people having to many goldfish or something. He talks about towns in Alaska that are going to fall into the middle of the Baring Sea, of course you feel bad for the people who will lose their homes if this happens. I can't help but think that the people who started those towns should have realised that weather conditions would be terrible on these stormy little islands. It's the same thing with New Orleans, I felt bad for all these people losing their homes, but I can't imagine somebody thinking it was a good idea to make a huge city in a coastal area that's below sea level and on one of the most hurricane-prone bodies of water in the world. Mr. Gore blames industry and machines like cars for this global warming. Mr. Gore also says its important not to be frightened by this, but when he shows you Greenland melting and flooding New York City I find it hard not to be frightened. I think Mr. Gore should talk more about what we can do and now that everybody knows there's a problem he should do something to help clean up the Earth. In Mr. Gore's movie he flies pretty much alone in his very polluting private jet and drives a 6,000 pound, 5.4L V8 powered, Lincoln Navigator. Mr. Gore also has large houses that all use up more energy in a year than several average American families would use. I have nothing against what Mr. Gore says, but I wish he would practice what he preaches a little more.
There are some cars that we can buy to do our part for the environment. The first car most people think of is the Toyota Prius, but I really don't recommend it. The Prius has very high EPA gas mileage ratings, but if you want to get that mileage you have to drive slowly and carefully, which is boring and isn't the point of driving. I've never driven a Prius (I have been a passenger in one), because of a fear I'd fall asleep from boredom, although the ride is so bad that you'd be woken up by a small pebble in the road, and when you crash it cooks you with very very hot battery acid. There is a Touring version of the Prius with real car tyres, but if you really want a hybrid the new Honda Insight is coming soon. Personally I would get a Volkswagen Jetta TDI, because it gets great gas mileage and is great to drive. There are some electric cars, but most of them are extremely slow, unreasonably expensive, and deadly. The only one I like is the Tesla, but it has some huge drawbacks as well. The first is its cost, $110,000. Also, I don't really like the idea of a larger, much more expensive Lotus Elise that makes no noise. I'd just get a Lotus Elise and save the environment (it can easily get 30 mpg) while I drive one of the most fun cars in the world. The only alternative fuel cars I really think might work are hydrogen powered, but we can't get those now.  Solar is another of these alternative energy car idea, but it really isn't well suited to something that moves or needs sudden busts of power.  Oh did I mention that they explode catastrophically in a crash. 
I recommend that people get an efficient car they like and wait for hydrogen cars to become available if they really want to help the environment. I would rather get something fast and fun to drive that can easily beat its EPA ratings, the Audi A8, VW Jetta TDI, or BMW 335d. Oh, just in case I'm on to something with my goldfish theory I got rid of my goldfish a couple years ago.

No comments: