Thursday, May 29, 2008

Audi R8 vs Aston Martin V8 Vantage

The Audi R8 and Aston Martin V8 Vantage are two cars that I have trouble deciding which is better. The Audi R8 has a mid-engine layout, 420 horsepower, all wheel drive, and costs $109,000 for a manual transmission. The Aston Martin V8 Vantage has a front-engine layout, rear wheel drive, 380 horsepower, and costs $113,000 for the manual coupe. That means the Audi R8 is most likely the better car, in fact the R8 is almost perfect. This is actually a matter of which car would I buy. The R8 seems much better on paper, but the Aston is one of the most beautiful cars in the world and sounds amazing. While the Audi R8 has wonderful handling, is extremely fast, and also sounds great. The Audi is faster in a straight line, in the turns, and because of the AWD is usable in snow and dirt, but that is very bad idea. The Audi also has better practicality, because of its two trunks and again the AWD. The Aston however is still a great handling car and has one of the best chassis around. The problem these cars have is their competition. They have the 355-381hp Porsche 911 Carrera S, 415hp 911 GT3, 480hp (claimed, for real it has over 510hp) Nissan GT-R, 505hp Corvette Z06, 420hp Jaguar XKR, 405hp Maserati GranTurismo, 500hp BMW M6, 420hp BMW M3, Audi's own 420hp RS4, 451hp Mercedes C63 AMG, and 507hp Mercedes CLS63 AMG as not quite direct competition.

4 comments:

mosport70 said...

I don't know about you but I don't think I would take my R8 out in snow or dirt, AWD or not! ;-)

CAR97sub said...

Interesting! The Aston Martin V8 is a beautiful car, I would love to drive one. But I guess the Audi is more practical.
I am interested in what Motorstreet thinks of the Mini?

Jet55 said...

I don't think I would take a car like the R* in the dirt. I guess it is good to know you could! What about the GT-R could you take that in the dirt? If you were getting a GT-R would you get doily on the seats? I hear you can in Japan?

Anonymous said...

The Audi R8 on dirt or snow comment was a mistake. It has been fixed.